It’s mind-blowing to think that this year is coming to a close. (See ya later 2020!) But with the end of the year comes an increase in things you need to do, increase in workload and a shorter day. This can lead to you feeling overwhelmed and well burnt-out ( guilty !)
So how can we try to avoid this?
- Remember to breathe. If you aren’t breathing right, your muscles are not going to be happy and you aren’t going to be happy. So take some time out of your day and just focus on your breathing!
- Find something you enjoy doing that you also find relaxing. I’m currently into my Cricut and making stickers, along with re-watching New Girl. When I do these things, I’m enjoying my time, I’m relaxing and I don’t feel guilty that I’m doing it. Remember though, if you start stressing about not having the time during the day to do your Cricut craft, it’s probably a good time to take a break from that.
- When you’re at work, you can still take time for yourself! If you’re given a lunch break take it, if you’re given any sort of break, TAKE IT. Even if it’s for 15 minutes. After every massage treatment, I have 15 minutes between each client, minus the minutes it takes to check-in with the client afterwards, write up notes, clean the room and set up the room. This leaves me with about 7 minutes. I take these 7 minutes and I’ll eat drink, chat with co-workers or check my phone. Those 7 minutes are MINE and I look forward to them. So what I’m saying is, take whatever breaks you can!
- Get some sleep and take your time waking up. That period when you go to sleep and when you wake up is yours. If you want to read before you get up, even if it’s for 5 minutes, do it. If you want to snuggle your dog or cat before you get up, I highly suggest you do that. If taking time for yourself in the morning means taking a relaxing shower and getting ready for the day. DO IT ! Whatever you do in the morning, as long as you feel well rested and relaxed while doing it, your body and mind will be so happy.
Here are some resources to help you not feel burnt-out and change your frame of mind:
- The Concast: Episode # 27, How I reframed motivation
- Need help breathing? Visit the Enigmatic Body
- Want to just move? Visit Yoga with Adrienne for any level for Yoga for ANY mindset
- Can’t get out to see your Massage Therapist, here are some Self-massage tutorial for you
Even if you just do one of these things on the list, you’ll feel better. Personally, I was already starting to feel burnt out in October. Not good when Massage Therapy busy season was JUST starting. I recognized it though. And that’s the first step. Do I still feel overwhelmed by tasks I think I have to do before I head into work? 100 percent. I’m working on it. And If I’m working on it, you can too.
And whether you’re a Massage Therapist or not, get a massage. It’s an hour where you know you’ll be relaxed and you’ve earned it.
Let’s end this year on a high note everybody!
Take care, relax and wash your hands,